Saturday, April 19, 2014

Thing 5: Screencasting

I have played around with screencasting before, but mostly through Google Hangouts.  Screencast-o-matic is pretty easy to use, but I had to download the program due to the Java problem that Alicia mentioned.  The interface is simple and purposeful, and it is a very easy-to-use program.  The one caveat to that it that the screencaster has to be well-rehearsed.  This particular screencast is one I made for the beginning of next year, highlighting two websites (classroom blog and Common Sense Media) that I want parents to know about.  It wasn't the first one I made, and it probably won't be the last.  Practice makes perfect when doing screencasts, as it is very easy to lose track of where you are, or what you are saying or doing.  There are a couple of issues with this one, but it is serviceable for the moment.

As a practice, I like screencasting.  However, I am unsure how frequently I will use it in class.  It is probably best used as a flipped classroom or review tool.  I can imagine covering a topic, or introducing one, and then posting screencast tasks or instructions on the blog, and having students watch and complete them at home.  I think that could be a valuable tool for repeated experiences with the material, and, hopefully, it would help it "stick" to a greater degree.

This week I posted comments on Rena and Neil's blogs.

2 comments:

  1. Jeff, nice screencast! I really think having the in-screen video narration is so effective and will probably start doing most of my tutorials this way. It's more personal than a disembodied voice! Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that it takes a lot of practice to have that almost-perfect-and-scripted screencast video to post online. I enjoyed the experience though!

    ReplyDelete