Thursday, April 23, 2015

Teach it!: Confer

Since downloading Confer on my (well, the family's) iPad, I have touted the app to many people.  I've run through the program with a principal, team members, and friends.   It has been difficult to get people together to discuss it, but I have found time to walk several people through the app. It is a very intuitive app, and as such it is very easy to teach.  I found myself quickly explaining many of the features, and I found that my audience was always intrigued.  I think that the biggest hurdle with this app is the price.  For an iPad app, it is very expensive ($25.00 USD).  I don't regret paying that much, but I'm sure the price has dissuaded its fair share of potential users.  Members of leadership discussed buying the app for teachers of English, but as an iPad only app, it would mean the teachers would also need iPads.  I do think it would be a great purchase for a school, but probably on a want basis.  Many teachers are still more comfortable with a pencil and paper to take their notes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeff,
    Good for you for sharing this awesome tool-- do you know if anyone else has purchased it? I wonder if you could show it to the whole faculty (or at least to MS) at some point, as it sounds like something that a lot of people would be interested if it was purchased for them. I see how not having teacher iPads would be a roadblock, however-- but maybe, if teachers committed to using Confer if it were purchased and downloaded for them, admin could give those teachers iPads as a small pilot? It just sounds like an efficient and effective way to make documentation and student conferences easier for the teacher and more meaningful for the students. Nice work!! In fact, I think I'll share your original Confer post with Randee, if that's okay, as she has an iPad and does tons of documentation!

    ReplyDelete